|Name:||Martien van Steenbergen|
|Birth Date:||July 5, 1958|
|Marital Status:||Married, three children|
|Address:||Ursulinenhof 46, 4133 DJ Vianen, The Netherlands|
|Phone:||+31 6 53 54 59 60|
|Weblog:||Track Martien's blog|
Ambition and drive
My primary ambition is to lead, facilitate, develop and evolve individuals in balance with managing the processes to meet and exceed the business goals. My main drive is to create a global environment that gets the best out of people around me (clients, partners, peers and colleagues), to appeal to their intrinsic motivators so that the teams go the extra mile with a smile and compassion. I am there for them, not the other way around.
Spotting, developing, growing and harvesting growth opportunities, both in humans and in business, thrills me. You will always find me networking as a professional ambassador, aligned with the corporate vision, mission and values, and a clear focus on measurable bottom-line results, translating idealism into realsim in unprecedented ways. Accessing the kaleidoscopic whole, zigzagging through complexitym while driven by dreams and visions, I live on uncharted frontiers. The value of a network grows exponentially with the number of links. Relationships are the currency of the networked economy, creating tomorrow’s wealth. Change the changes.
I add the most value in an environment where I am valued more for my creativeness, non-conformistic thinking, vision and leadership talents. My ambition is to excel in a leadership role, using leading edge and extreme quality people, blending my architectural and organizational talents into creating and growing agile multi-disciplinary teams of excellence that in some way help make the world a better place by using state-of-the-art resources. I thrive in flat, networked organizations. I like working with people, help find and cultivate their talents, and always strive to make the total much greater than the sum of the parts. Wholeness.
Inspiring & energizing
I get my energy from working in a state of flow with sharp and focused teams. I invoke energy in my role as wise fool. I get my inspiration and passion from people like Christopher Alexander, Tim Berners-Lee, Jesus Christ, Arnold Cornelis, Stephen Covey, Bill Gates, James Gosling, Amit Goswami, Steve Jobs, Bill Joy, Stewart Kauffman, Kevin Kelly, Steve Krug, Dalai Lama, Ervin Laszlo, Scott McNealy, Geoffry Moore, Jakob Nielsen, Donald Norman, Alvin Toffler, and Bruce Tognazzini. Their collective intellect help me see at least two years ahead of the curve.
Don’t just take my word for it
Others see me as fresh, lively, charming, passionate, amusing, practical and always interesting; someone who's constantly in the center of attention, but sufficiently well-balanced not to let it go to my head. They also see me as open, integer, loyal, committed, dedicated, kind, considerate, and understanding; as someone who'll always cheer them up and help them out. And last but not least, they see me as someone with vision, with a clear picture of the techno-social future.
|Q4-2006-present||Started writing a SMART plan for a brand new country codenamed ‘LandONE’|
|Q4-2006-present||Initiator of Aloha project: co-creation self-evident commercial open source book.|
|H1-2006||Initiator of Cheetah project: smart open source software for diabetes care—AardRock.|
|Q1-2006||Co-creator ‘Klaar om te Wenden’—Center for Human Emergence|
|Q1-Q3-2006||Manager Microsoft Innovation Center Nederland, Microsoft, , Schiphol-Rijk, The Netherlands|
|Q4 2005||Co-creator of the Queste Netwerkdag|
|Q2—Q4 2005||Manager for Tech•Ed 2005—Microsoft, Schiphol-Rijk, The Netherlands|
|Q2—Q4 2005||Manager Microsoft Technology Center—Microsoft, Schiphol-Rijk, The Netherlands|
|H1 2005||Leading AardWorks to develop Kolibri peer-to-peer software for DIVA/DVG.|
|Q4 2004||Initiated and co-founded AardWorks|
|Aug-Sep 2004||Organisational & ICT Quick Scan to reduce time to market for a large Dutch bank|
|May-Jun 2004||Tech•Ed 2004 Manager—Microsoft, Schiphol-Rijk, The Netherlands|
|2003-Apr 2004||CEO—Aduna, Amersfoort|
|Feb 2003||Founded AardRock B.V. to become fully self-employed|
|2000-2003||Practice Manager Sun Java Center—Sun Microsystems, Amersfoort|
|1994-2000||Java Ambassador—Sun Microsystems, Amersfoort|
|1991-1994||Windows Ambassador, Multimedia Ambassador—Sun Microsystems, Amersfoort|
|1988||Senior Consultant and Trainer—West Consulting, Delft|
|1986||System Architect—RIVM, Bilthoven|
|1985||System Analyst & Developer Office Systems—Nixdorf Computer, Vianen|
|1984||System Developer MPX Operating System—Philips Data Systems, Apeldoorn|
- Initiating, co-founding and leading AardWorks, a small swarm of experts in Agile Development and extreme Programming to develop an advanced pure peer-to-peer client application that connects people’s passion for historic information. This project was awarded by DVG (Digitaal Genootschap van het Verleden) in the context of the Elektronische Snelweg program from the Ministerie van Economische Zaken.
- Leading Aduna, an advanced semantic web technology company, by creating, executing and embedding the vision and strategy. Turning Aduna around from an inwardly-focused, technical-oriented group of people to a professional, externally and client-focused 10-person team in one year. Defining and executing the business plan, moving from investment mode to profitability, projecting €20M+ upside potential revenue in two years. Setting up a comfortable and predictable quarterly product release cycle. Boosting market awareness while realizing the ingredients for a solid brand, a brand with an attitude (2003);
- Starting up, leading and managing the Dutch Sun Java Center from scratch, and profitably, for three consecutive years by recruiting 11 best-of-breed senior Java Architects and Consultants (1999-2002); responsible for €1.2M+ revenue, spendings, utilization (non-idle time), profit, margin, as well as personal and professional development of a team of consultants; member of both local Dutch and international corporate management team; quarterly worldwide management team meetings; teaming up with sales organization; extreme focus on enterprise application architecture;
- Leading and managing both the Sun Java Center and the Internet Service Provider team (20 senior technical consultants) at Sun Professional Services (2000-2002);
- Organizing, hosting, moderating, facilitating and chairing many large scale (audience >100) events, seminars and conferences (meetings at clients, Queste Netwerk Dag, various Java and software developer conferences, Idea Machine (Evoluon), JavaONE customer trips, Aduna launch event);
- Facilitating and hosting skills.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills (thousands of presentations for tens of thousands of people);
- Creative, strategic, and pragmatic;
- Creating business plans and executing them accordingly (responsibilities include profit & loss, headcount managment, revenue, margin, contribution, management reporting);
- Project and program leadership and management;
- Enterprise, process, application/software, and organizational Architectures;
- Extreme focus on clients (focusing on their numbers, rather than mine);
- Deep understanding of technology and its strategic and social impact;
- Good writing skills (English, Dutch);
- Active listener, seeking first to understand, then to be understood
- Key Words: Spritual Intelligence, Emotional Intelligence, Buddhism, Eastern Philosophy, wholeness, leadership, management, coaching, mentoring, entrepreneur, hi-tech start-up, solution selling, SPIN, innovation, architecture, Internet, Web, e-Business, Usability, User Interface, Prince II, Agile Development, XP, SCRUM, Patterns, Pattern Language, Semantic Web, ontology, RDF, OWL, Dublin Core, RUP, XP, SCRUM, Java, J2EE, Jini, JavaSpaces, XML, Distributed Computing, Open Source, Open Standards, UNIX, Mac OS X, Windows; Happiness.
|Dutch:||Native tongue||German:||Spoken: good; writing: average|
|2006||Spiral Dynamics Integral 1, 2, and 3||2002||Siebel TAS training|
|2001||NIBE training||2001||Leadership training (Sun internal)|
|1999||Media training, Bob de Ronde, Utrecht||2001||RUP & UML training|
|1994||Power Base Selling||1992||Strategic Selling|
|2001||Consulting Skills (LIFO)||1991||Mansal sales training|
|1981-1984||HIO Enschede||1976-1977||HTS Electronics, Arnhem|
|1977-1978||MTS Electronics, Apeldoorn||1970-1976||HAVO, Christelijk Lyceum, Apeldoorn|
Hobbies & Interests
- Eastern Philosophy, Quantum Physics, Zero Point Field, Akashic Field
- “Living” and Evolving Architecture (in nature, construction, organization and software)
- Distributed Systems and Systems Thinking
- Pattern Languages (Architectural, Organizational, Process, etc.)
- Science & Technology in general
- Wholeness & Authenticity, Art & Self